PARIS, Nov 12, 2011 (AFP) – Spanish rider Alejandro Valverde will compete
for his former team Movistar when his doping ban ends at the beginning of 2012
it was revealed in a team statement on Saturday.
The 31-year-old – winner of the 2009 Tour of Spain – will be officially
unveiled on Tuesday.
Valverde was suspended by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in May
2010 for his role in the Puerto doping scandal but it was revealed earlier
this year that he had been training with his former team-mates.
Valverde, winner of several classics including the Liege-Bastogne-Liege
twice, said that it was vital to keep really fit so he was well prepared for
his competitive return.
“What counts is not to lose one’s rhythm and to be in the best possible
shape when I return to competition,” he said on several occasions.