Ballan Out Of Intensive Care

ballan_2010_bmc

BMC Racing Team’s Alessandro Ballan was released from intensive care Friday in Spain but remains hospitalized as he recovers from injuries suffered in a high speed crash during training last week.

Improving Every Day
Ballan underwent surgery last Thursday night to repair his broken left femur and remove his spleen. The former world road champion also broke a rib in the accident that occurred earlier that day while descending the Coll de Rates climb near Parcent. Speaking from his hospital bed, Ballan said achieving a small milestone in his recovery puts a smile on his face. “Every day I am getting better,” he said. “Now it’s easy.” Ballan said he has been overwhelmed with the messages of encouragement he has received. “I am very happy because I have a lot of supporters, not only in Italy, but around the world. A lot of people are thinking of me in this moment and I am very happy and appreciative of all of them.”

No Timetable For Release
BMC Racing Team Chief Medical Officer Dr. Max Testa said no timetable has yet been established for Ballan’s release. “The doctors who are overseeing his care at the hospital saw enough improvement that he’s been moved to a regular care room,” Dr. Testa said. “What’s good is that he continues to get better each day and there have been no complications from the surgeries.” Ballan had been scheduled to start his season at the Santos Tour Down Under. BMC Racing Team Directeur Sportif John Lelangue said Ivan Santaromita will replace him on the team’s seven-rider roster for the Australian race next month.

Speak Your Mind

*