Beijing, Jan 13, 2012 (AFP) – China’s women cyclists defended their gold
medal performance in the team sprint here at the Beijing UCI World Cup Friday,
while Cuba’s Lisandra Guerra Rodriguez won the women’s 500 metre time trial.
Guo Shuang, bronze medalist at the Beijing Olympics, teamed with Gong
Jinjie to win the team sprint in 33.055 seconds, defending China’s win in the
event last year. Lithuania finished second with a time of 33.747.
The win put China in second place in UCI World Cup rankings with 21 points,
four points behind the top-ranked team Ukraine, but with two days still to go
in the Beijing leg.
Meanwhile Rodriguez won the women’s 500m time trail in 34.657 seconds,
giving the 24-year-old Cuban her first gold since winning the event at the Pan
American championships last year.
Russia’s Anastasiya Voynova finished second in 34.898, enough to keep her
on top of the World Cup rankings with 15 points.
In other events, Russia’s Rusvelo won the men’s team pursuit in a time of
3:57.699. beating Australia, while Ukraine won the women’s team pursuit,
finishing ahead of Bulgaria.
MTT Moscow won the men’s team sprint in a time of 44.196, followed by China
which finished in 44.43. In the women’s team sprint China finished first in
33.055, pipping Lithuania which finished in 33.747.
1. RVL Rusvelo (Evgeny Kovalev, Ivan Kovalev, Alexey Markov, Alexander
Serov) 3 minutes 57.699 seconds
2. AUS (Edward Bissaker, Alexander Edmondson, Michael Freiberg, Mitchell
1 Kirill Sveshnikov Lokosphinx
2 Albert Torres Barcelo ESP Laps down 1
1. MTT Moscow (Sergei Kucherov, Denis Dmitriev, Sergei Borisove) 44.196
2. CHN (Cheng Changsong, Zhang Lei, Zhang Miao) 44.43
500m Time Trial
1 Lisandra Guerra Rodriguez CUB 34.657
2 Anastasiya Voynova RUS 34.898
1 CHN (Gong Jinjie, Guo Shuang) 33.055
2 LTU (Simona Krupeckaite, Gintare Gaivenyte) 33.747
1. UKR (Svitlana Galyuk, Eilezaveta Bochkareva, Lyubov Shulika)
2. BLR (Tatsiana Sharakova, Aksana Papko, Alena Dylko)
1. Aksana Papko BLR 15 points
2. Katarzyna Pawlowska POL 12 points