PARIS, June 22, 2012 – Lance Armstrong’s former manager Johan Bruyneel said Friday that he will not attend this year’s Tour de France after
being caught up in the latest doping row to engulf the American.
Bruyneel said he did not want his presence on the Tour, which starts on June 30, to snatch the limelight from his RadioShack team.
“I am sad to announce that I have decided, for the first time in a long time, not to be going to this year’s Tour de France,” Bruyneel said on his
“I want to be there, but in the light of recent allegations by USADA (the American anti-doping body), it would be an unwelcome distraction for my team
and all those who support and take part in the Tour.
“That is why I have decided, after consulting the team’s main sponsors and in agreement with the management, not to take part in the race.
“It is unfortunate that unfounded accusations have caused my withdrawal from the Tour but I hope to prove my innocence and resolve this matter
quickly, once and for all.”
The USADA last week announced that it had brought charges against Armstrong for doping, charges that if proven could see the American stripped of the
seven Tour de France titles with Bruyneel as manager.
The charges also say Armstrong was aided by others in a doping conspiracy that ran for years, an allegation that Belgian-born Bruyneel has denied.