Ullrich Criticized For Refusing To Break His Silence On Doping

Ullrich Waves Goodbye

Berlin, Jan 23, 2013 (AFP) – Germany’s only Tour de France winner Jan
Ullrich, currently banned from cycling, has been criticised for not following
Lance Armstrong’s example and breaking his silence on doping.

The 39-year-old German won the 1997 Tour de France, winning a total of
seven stages in his career, and finished five times as runner-up behind
Armstrong before retiring in 2007.

Ullrich was found guilty of violating anti-doping rules by the Court of
Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in February 2012 and was retroactively banned for
two years from August 2011. All his results since May 2005 were removed.

He was banned for his involvement in the doping program of Spanish doctor
Eufemiano Fuentes, who goes on trial in Madrid on Monday.

Rudolf Scharping, president of the German Cycling Federation (BDR), has
criticised Ullrich for repeatedly missing the opportunity to speak about his
past and to help clean up the sport’s image.

“Jan Ullrich has always been given bad advice to not lay his cards on the
table,” Scharping told magazine Bunte.

“He holds on to it. He has allowed every chance he has had to elapse.”
While Armstrong admitted his doping past in an interview with US talk show
host Oprah Winfrey earlier this month, Ullrich refuses to break his silence.

“I will certainly not go Armstrong’s way and speak in front of millions of
people, even if some of them ask me repeatedly and perhaps expect to hear
something,” Ullrich told magazine Focus.

“I live in the here and now and I am very happy.”

Speak Your Mind

*