LISBON, Feb 19, 2014 (AFP) – Italian rider Sacho Modolo of the
Lampre-Merida team won the opening stage of the Tour of the Algarve on
Wednesday in a sprint finish, beating his Portuguese teammate Rui Costa on the
Modolo beat the world champion Costa on the line in Albufeira to lead by a
second overall from Cesar Fonte, with Costa four seconds off the pace.
Meanwhile, in his first race of the season, Spain’s Alberto Contador,
riding for Tinkoff-Saxo, finished in the lead group and sits 10 seconds off
the pace set by Modolo.
After the 160km-trip from Faro to Albufeira, Modolo dedicated the win “to
the whole team, but also to Kristoff Goddaert”, in reference to the Belgian
rider who died while training on Tuesday.
Thursday’s second stage will be a 196-km ride from Lagoa to Monchique, with
the five-stage race concluding on Sunday.
Results on Wednesday from first stage of the
Tour of the Algarve, a 160km ride from Faro to Albufeira:
1. Sacha Modolo (ITA/Lampre) 3hr 51min 46sec, 2. Rui Costa (POR) same time,
3. Alessandro Petacchi (ITA) s.t., 4. Bryan Coquard (FRA) s.t., 5. Danilo
Napolitano (ITA) s.t.
30. Alberto Contador (ESP) s.t.
1. Sacha Modolo (ITA/Lampre) 3hr 51min 36sec, 2. Cesar Fonte (POR) at 1sec,
3. Rui Costa (POR) 4, 4. Alessandro Petacchi (ITA) 6, 5. Luis Afonso (POR)
32. Alberto Contador 10.